Tuesday, April 20, 2010

R.I.P. Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal













The news of Guru's passing hits pretty hard.

I felt hella weak months ago, when I, along with others jumped the gun and thought he passed. I was happy he was still with us, but apparently that wouldn't last long.

My homegirl Kristin got me my first GangStarr tape on my 13th birthday in March of 1994. She asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I told her, either the Wu-Tang tape (Enter the 36 Chambers), or the new GangStarr - Hard to Earn. being that she didn't wanna buy me a "Chinese rap" album (no one was really up on Wu-Tang yet in Alameda), she opted to get me Gang Starr's latest joint.

I still have it, and it still plays, although it's probably real worn out on "Speak Ya Clout".

Everytime a GangStarr album would come out, of course folks would be floored by Primo's beats, but honestly, there was no better match for all those sound scapes than Guru's soulful presence through his voice.

Kieth Elam, you will be missed, but you will never be forgotten, especially by this Honor Roller. I took my lessons from one of the greatest.

"It's mostly tha voice, that gets you up
It's mostly tha voice, that makes you buck
A lot of rappers got flavor, and some got skills
But if your voice ain't dope then you need to [chill... chill... ]"


Rest in Peace, Power and Paradise, Guru.

Mike Baker the Bike Maker
Chosendos

No comments: